Dear All
Thanks for all the help regarding ways of improving the speed of loading large
volumes of data from a text file into a Sqlite table from within a bespoke
application. The solution was indeed to place all the INSERT instructions
between a BEGIN and a COMMIT. I can now load approx 50,000 records in about 4
seconds. Previously it was > 15 minutes!
A question was raised about what SQLiteman is. It's an open source admin tool
for, as its name suggests, sqlite databases. It runs on Linux (not sure about
Windows) and I highly recommend it. It should be ideal for loading the contents
of a CSV file.
Regards
Nige