On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 8:33 PM, Jim Morris <j...@bearriver.com> wrote:

> Are there significant improvements in speed for existing SQL?

In my _simple_ tests (which run _almost_ the same ops through mysql5,
sqlite3, and now sqlite4), i'm seeing _huge_ boosts in speed in v4 (25x
over v3!) BUT:

a) this is not necessarily indicative of "what will be" because v4 will
certainly see significant changes before it stabilizes. i'm also using a
variety of flags just to get it to build, and can't say with certainty what
is enabled/disabled at the moment (not all valid combinations build right
now). e.g. i might have syncing turned off in the v4 build (but certainly
don't in my v3 build).

b) my tests which use auto-increment/last-row-id are disabled for v4 (it
doesn't yet do those), so those tests inherently have a few fewer calls
into the db (but not enough fewer to account for a 25x speed increase).

In other words, what i'm seeing might just be a fluke of nature.

> How does the compiled size compare with SQLite3?

The sized on my machine can't be directly compared because i've only got v4
building as a static lib, but the current static lib sizes on x64 Linux:

libsqlite3.a 5214256
libsqlite4.a 3753496

but again, that is not necessarily any indication of what it will look like
in 13 hours or 6 months. Nor does it give any hint about what the different
will mean for clients linked to it.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/