On 14 Jul 2012, at 3:07am, Udi Karni <uka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. I understand. I tried to set PRAGMA CACHE_SIZE=0; in the hope of
> not cache anything and forcing Sqlite to always go to disk - but that
> didn't help.
>
> I see some reads on pagefile.sys - but both the DB and the pagefile are on
> SSD - so you would think it shouldn't be too costly to read one or both -
> even in a more random fashion.
>
> The SSD disk read queue is just over 1 - so it doesn't quite fit the
> typical scenario of IO bottlenecks - a high read queue and a disk arm
> moving frantically.

I don't think you can alter this inside SQLite.  The caching you have noticed
is not being done by SQLite.  It's either a part of Windows' read-ahead
caching, or something being done by your storage driver.

Windows gets a lot of its speed by doing things like read-head caching.  It can
lead to strange results like the ones you reported.

Simon.