On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Olaf Schmidt <s...@online.de> wrote:

> Am 05.09.2012 15:58, schrieb Igor Tandetnik:
>

>  Well, you could do something like this:
>>
>> SELECT id, a, b, ..., mtime FROM tab t1
>> where mtime = (select min(mtime) from tab t2 where t2.id=t1.id)
>> ORDER BY mtime DESC;
>>

> Ah, nice ... this solves the problem of the potential
> "non-uniqueness" of mtime... (was fiddeling along with
> something like that too, but so far without a result).
>
> Just for completeness (in case mtime *is* unique):
>

> SELECT id, a, b, ..., mtime FROM tab
> WHERE mtime IN (SELECT Min(mtime) FROM tab GROUP BY id)
> ORDER BY mtime DESC

In the actual use case that inspired this question (and for which, after
seeing the alternatives, I think I'll stick with SQLite's magical
processing of min()) the mtime value is a floating point number, and we all
know the hazards of comparing floating point numbers for equality, right?

> Olaf

D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org