I tested with a database containing one table with 50,000 entries.

I then ran "SELECT *" on this table from 100 concurrent threads where each
thread randomly selected 20,000 table entries.

The results are:

* using a single connection for all threads: 11 seconds
* using one connection per thread: 59,3 seconds