 From: Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org>
To: Bob Price <rjp_em...@yahoo.com>; General Discussion of SQLite Database
<sqlite-users@sqlite.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:32 AM
Subject: Re: [sqlite] pragma synchronous=off and journal_mode=wal still syncs
to disk

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Bob Price <rjp_em...@yahoo.com> wrote:

It appears that regardless of a "pragma synchronous=off" that there are still
syncs to disk done at key points in WAL mode such as in a "pragma
wal_checkpoint(RESTART)".  I think that this is true based on the application
cpu and disk I/O patterns I observe when logging shows the wal checkpoint to be
in progress, while running on a Linux host with tons of free memory available
for its file cache.

I ran test cases using "strace" and they show no fsyncs occurring when
synchronous=off.  Do you have a script that shows an fsync (or fdatasync) using
strace?

>Is this true?  Is there any way to configure a connection so that these syncs
>do not happen in WAL mode?
>
>Thanks,
>Bob

D. Richard Hipp