I'm looking for both administrative and technical advice on the pros and
cons of either creating one single database table with many columns or
creating multiple tables with fewer but related columns to be JOINed when
needed. Assume that the data is all related 1-to-1, like name, home
address, primary phone, shoe size, favourite politician (NULL accepted!),
etc. At a first glance it seems logical to select a single table as it
simplifies access to the data but there may be good reasons that I'm not
aware of to split the data over multiple tables. I have only limited
experience of SQL so any guidelines are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Staffan