Paul Sanderson wrote:

> I want to populate a large table (millions of rows) as quickly as possible,
>
> The data set will not be operated on until the table is fully populated and
> if the operation fails I will be starting again. the operation is a one off
> and the table will not be added to at a future date.
>
> What are optimisations will work best for me?

Do you have only 1 table to populate or several tables?

If you have several tables, you could consider this:

* put your tables in different databases;

* perform the INSERT in different processes (1 per
  database) so tables can be populated in parallel;

* wait for all processes to finish;

* ATTACH all databases, so it it behaves as
  a single database.

Dominique