On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Jason Gauthier <jgauth...@lastar.com> wrote:
>  I am a fairly new user of sqlite, but not particularly new to SQL
> principles.  I am developing an application that will run on a low end system.

Load the same data into another RDBMS you're familiar with, and see
how it compares perf-wise.

> time sqlite3 trip.db 'select count(*) from trip where key<=1400'
> real    0m0.026s

> time sqlite3 trip.db 'select * from trip where key<=1400'
> real    0m0.205s

> time sqlite3 trip.db 'delete from trip where key<=1400'
> real    0m1.532s

> Any thoughts on why this may be so slow, or what I can do to improve it?

Well, you're paying for the maintenance of the indexes, 4 of them. Try
the delete with fewer indexes, and you'll see the delete time improve.
There's not much you can do about it I'm afraid.

BTW, tell us the total count(*) and .db file size, and perhaps your DB
page size as well. --DD