Thanks Simon...
Your's works a treat
Re your question about my error

Here's my query

UPDATE stmnts SET itm=n where ID=i
(
SELECT alias_id i,
(SELECT orig_itm FROM stmnts where ID = alias_id) o,
(SELECT itm FROM std_itms where ID = std_id) n
FROM
(SELECT std_id, alias_id FROM alias_itms)
)

and here's my error

SQLiteManager: Likely SQL syntax error: UPDATE stmnts SET itm=n where ID=i
(
SELECT alias_id i,
(SELECT orig_itm FROM stmnts where ID = alias_id) o,
(SELECT itm FROM std_itms where ID = std_id) n
FROM
(SELECT std_id, alias_id FROM alias_itms)
)
 [ near "SELECT": syntax error ]
Exception Name: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
Exception Message: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozIStorageConnection.createStatement]

Thanks for your help