On Feb 20, 2013, at 9:35 PM, "Jay A. Kreibich" <j...@kreibi.ch> wrote:

>  Not covert... works as documented:

"Let us be charitable, and call it a misleading feature" -- Larry Wall

> Not random either... at least, not any more random than any other
>  query.  Result order is never meaningful unless there is an
>  ORDER BY.

Q.E.D.

> As for "productive", I suppose that depends on if you want SQL to
>  find poorly thought out queries on behalf of the developer, or just
>  assume the developer knows what they're doing and do the best it can
>  with what it was given.

That the problem right there:  … " do the best it can with what it was given"…
That's basically second guessing and is rather harmful. Just the opposite of
the first assertion ( "assume the developer knows what they're doing" ).
SQLite shouldn't assume, or guess, anything and just fail-fast instead.
Everyone would be better off that way.

> For good or bad, SQL is definitely a "shoot
>  yourself in the foot" language.

Nah. No more or less than any other programmatic constructs. On the other hand,
there is a clear tendency in SQLite for creative second guessing (scalar, group
by, etc) or ignore issues altogether (constraints violations opacity).

Just my 2¢ though.