On 21 Mar 2013 at 23:30, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM, Tim Streater <t...@clothears.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have a column defined as TEXT and I insert utf-8 text into it. In
>> particular, there are byte sequences that might look as follows:
>> ... 74 6F 20 C2 A3 32 35 30 ... (in hex)
>> which represents:
>> ... to £250 ...
>> I used Navicat for SQLite Lite to peer at the data as hex and text in the
>> column, and it looks as I've presented it.
>> The problem comes when I try to retrieve the data using a PHP script. I
>> want the data back as bytes because I'm going to encode it as quoted
>> printable, with decimal byte values greater than 127 being separately
>> encoded. This would give the above as:
>> ... to =C2=A3250 ...
>> But: the byte stream I get back on doing a SELECT is always *missing* the
>> C2 byte. What am I missing here? I'm using the PHP PDO interface.

> What do you get back when you do select "hex(column)" instead of just
> "column" using PHP.  If the C2 byte is there, then I'm going to put the
> blame on PHP in this case.

Having checked the db carefully, both using hex(col) (via the sqlite3 CLI
program), and using the unix hexdump utility on the db, I'm now reasonably
certain that the C2 bytes are simply not in the db. That they show up when I
examine the db with Navicat for SQLite Lite is another matter altogether.

Sorry for the distraction.

--
Cheers  --  Tim