By making use of memory-mapped I/O, the current trunk of SQLite (which will
eventually become version 3.7.17 after much more refinement and testing)
can be as much as twice as fast, on some platforms and under some
workloads.  We would like to encourage people to try out the new code and
report both success and failure.  Snapshots of the amalgamation can be
found at

   http://www.sqlite.org/draft/download.html

Links to the relevant documentation can bee seen at

   http://www.sqlite.org/draft/releaselog/3_7_17.html

The memory-mapped I/O is only enabled for windows, linux, mac OS-X, and
solaris.  We have found that it does not work on OpenBSD, for reasons we
have not yet been able to uncove; but as a precaution, memory mapped I/O is
disabled by default on all of the *BSDs until we understand the problem.
The biggest performance gains occur on windows, mac, and solaris.  The new
code is also faster on linux, but not by as big a factor.  The speed
improvement is also heavily dependent upon workload.  Some operations can
be almost twice as faster.  For others, there is no measurable speed
improvement.

Your feedback on whether or not the new code is faster for you, and whether
or not it even works for you, is very important to us.  Thanks for giving
the new code a try.

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org