Simon and everyone who has thrown ideas into the mix,
I very much appreciate the effort that you folks have put into this!
If nothing else, I am learning from this exorcise.

I set the page_size to 4096 and cache_size to 1024.
(I picked the next binary size above the 2976 KB size of the DB under test.)
No difference in speed. (I ran both in memory and off of disk versions).

Vance