On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM, Marc L. Allen
<mlal...@outsitenetworks.com>wrote:

> I'm not familiar with that.  It's a "view" where Oracle actually stores
> the view data as a physical table?  And updates these tables as the main
> table updates?

Pretty much. And the query optimizer is aware of the relationship of
course, and queries on the main table can be optionally routed to the
mat-view. (see
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25554/qradv.htm)

And if you're willing to have a slight delay for the updating of the
mat-view (async mode), you don't slow down inserts on the main table, and
background processes (or threads on windows) "mine" the undo/redo logs to
update the mat-view. In sync mode, you don't write the trigger, that's done
for you, you just define the view as usual. But I'm no expert on the
subject, just sharing perspective from the non-lite point of view, that's
all.

See http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16338_01/server.112/e10706/repmview.htm for
details. Here it's "Enable Data Subsetting" I guess.

Closing the off-topic aside now.... --DD