On 7/1/2013 11:30 PM, James K. Lowden wrote:
Restricting ourselves to one process, I can think of two ways that
might go:

1.  With two connections, one connection or the other will wait.
SELECT will return 0 or 10 rows.

Yes, between two connection, normal transaction isolation rules apply, whether these connections are established by the same or separate processes.

2.  Trying to re-use a single connection to issue a second query
before finalizing the first one should return an error

No it should not, and does not. Try it.

because the library is being improperly used.

That may be, but it doesn't result in an error.

 SELECT will return 0 or 10 rows, or an error.

Not necessarily. Again, try it, see for yourself.

So I still don't see how the SELECT could be anything undeterministic.

You are laboring under incorrect assumptions, which would allow you to justify any conclusion.
--
Igor Tandetnik