I have one application that deals with a few tens of megabytes of data.
Dropbox tries to sync the file with an open-shared connection, and any
changes seem to want to UL the whole file again, not to mention the
hammering of the journal/wal file.  So what I've done is open the file in
exclusive mode, and when the program closes, it releases the handle and DB
happily syncs the file.  This particular application only allows one
instance of itself running.

If you're doing 100% reads, or at least, have one machine that handles
writing to the database, you can pretty much ignore the following.

As stated, DropBox will allow different computers to access the files on
their own.  The PROBLEM comes in when changes are detected on multiple
machines at the same time.  You start getting a bunch of copied files with
the name "Conflict" appended, with the hostname of the offending machine.
This does count towards your DB usage.  In other words, if computer 1 has
the file open and makes no changes, computer 2 decides to make a lot of
changes, computer 1 won't see that change until the application is stopped,
DB syncs the file, and then the application is restarted.  At this point,
no conflict file shows up.  However, if both computer 1 and computer 2
start making changes at the same time, you'll start getting conflicted
files.