On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 18:03:43 +0100, Simon Slavin - slav...@bigfraud.org <sqlite.browseruk.021993da41.slavins#bigfraud....@ob.0sg.net> wrote:

On 20 Jul 2013, at 3:11pm, sqlite.20.browse...@xoxy.net wrote:

this in-memory database actually persists. Ie. Beyond the life of the program that created it.

Then it's not an in-memory database.  Have you obeyed the requirements:

<http://www.sqlite.org/uri.html>

version 3.7.7 or above, and compiled with SQLITE_USE_URI enabled ?

Um. You tell me. As a perl user I just installed a module from cpan

    http://search.cpan.org/~ishigaki/DBD-SQLite-1.39/

that took care of fetching, building and installing sqlite.

If USE_URI was not defined when it was built, would connect accept a uri-style filename?
And if it did, would it produce the behaviour that I am seeing?

Another way of asking:
Is it usual for sqlite to store its data in invisible alternate streams under windows?

Well, That was something I could easily test, so I switched the connect string from:

    'dbi:SQLite:dbname=file:memdb2?mode=memory&cache=shared'

to:

    'dbi:SQLite:dbname=mydb'

And sure enough a file called mydb showed up in the local directory with a very real size (somewhat smaller for the same data:175k -v- 375k), and no alternate streams.

So obviously, using the uri form cause sqlite to do something different.

And given that when I pass it the uri-form name (above), it names this hidden, alternate stream as:

C:\test>streams file
Streams v1.56 - Enumerate alternate NTFS data streams
C:\test\file:
   :memdb2?mode=memory&cache=shared:$DATA       347136

It kinda suggests that it knows what it is doing; and that it is both understanding the URI-form; which one supposes would also mean that it is understanding both

   mode=memory     &   cache=shared.

So, to the best of my knowledge I am doing everything required to correctly request it to construct an in-memory db. So,

Then it's not an in-memory database.

Not so helpful.

Simon.

Buk

GET FREE SMILEYS FOR YOUR IM & EMAIL - Learn more at
http://www.inbox.com/smileys
Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google TalkT and most
webmails