On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> Nevertheless do you understand the point I'm trying to make -- that
> collations are a modifier for comparisons not individual values ?
>
> The collation is a property of the value.  It is part of the datatype of
the value.

When you do X==Y and X and Y have different collations, SQLite chooses the
collation on the left to use for the comparison.  (PostgreSQL, being more
rigid in its typing rules, throws an error, if I'm not mistaken.)  If X
does not have a specified collation, then the collation of Y is used
instead.  If neither X nor Y have collations, then the default collation
(BINARY) is used.

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org