Am I understanding that, in this example, the I_NODES_PARENT is being chosen as
the search index because... it's smaller and therefore faster to find initial
qualifying rows that you can then use in some sort of ordered lookup in another
index/table?

I'm always in awe of some of the plans a good QA comes up with, and it blows me
away that there are cases when using a less-covering index would be better than
a more-covering index.

This email and any attachments are only for use by the intended recipient(s)
and may contain legally privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise
private information. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, dissemination,
distribution or other disclosure of the contents of this e-mail or its
attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.