Thanks for the reply. I understand. I am going to do some experimenting just to make sure...

Regards,
-Bill

On 9/15/2013 3:13 PM, Petite Abeille wrote:
On Sep 15, 2013, at 8:31 PM, William Drago <wdr...@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Seconds since the epoch does make a good timestamp. Is
that what is normally used to extract data between time periods?
(Date & Time seems to be a popular topic at the moment)

There is nothing prescriptive in using epoch time.

As SQLite doesn't have a dedicated date type, you are free to decide how you
want to handle it.

There are two main encoding:

(1) As a number: Julian date, unix epoch, etc
(2) As a string: ISO 8601 & co.. Just make sure that your string representation
sorts properly.

http://www.sqlite.org/lang_datefunc.html

The granularity of the date is up to you as well: day, hour, milliseconds, etc.
This is more driven by what's convenient for your application. Ditto if this should
be split between date &  time.

Depending on the task at hand, you could even require a much more full fledge
set of entities:

   create table if not exists date
   (
     id            integer not null constraint date_pk primary key,

     year          integer not null,
     month         integer not null,
     day           integer not null,

     day_of_year   integer not null,
     day_of_week   integer not null,
     week_of_year  integer not null,

     constraint    date_uk unique( year, month, day )
   )

   create table if not exists time
   (
     id          integer not null constraint time_pk primary key,

     hour        integer not null,
     minute      integer not null,
     second      integer not null,

     constraint  time_uk unique( hour, minute, second )
   )

And then there are timezones, etc…