On 18 Sep 2013 at 01:49, niubao <niuba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a tool that allows you to graphically change sqlite schema as simple
> as editing a spreadsheet? For example if I wanted to change a column name
> from "my_driving_hours" to "driving_time", instead of writing a line of
> code, I can just click on that column and type in the new name, letting the
> tool automatically create a new database with the new schema and migrate the
> old data into the new one. I found it very useful.
>
> I am not sure if there exists such a tool after a long google search. Could
> any pros give some thoughts? Many thanks.

Navicat for SQLite Lite appears to do this. I copied a db, and used it to
rename a table. I then used the sqlite command tool on the db and entered
.schema which showed that the table name was changed. The following had taken
place:

Before:

  create table mytab1 ( … );
  create table mytab2 ( … );

After:

  create table mytab1 ( … );
  create table "wiggy" ( … );

Note the quotes around the altered name. What it's doing internally I don't
know, and whether it's actually doing everything it would need to do to do the
job properly, I don't know either. I didn't do extensive testing, but entering:

  select * from wiggy;

at the command line produced the expected results.

This was Navicat for SQLite Lite 9.1.5 under OS X.

--
Cheers  --  Tim