On 14 Oct 2013, at 5:32pm, Jared Albers <jaredaalb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do SELECT statements automatically start a transaction in order to
> obtain the SHARED lock? In other words, is the SHARED lock started as
> a result of the SELECT statement or as a result of the transaction? I
> was reading the "SQL as Understood by SQLite" documentation and it
> says the following:
>
> "No changes can be made to the database except within a transaction.
> Any command that changes the database (basically, any SQL command
> other than SELECT) will automatically start a transaction if one is
> not already in effect."
>
> Does this excerpt from the documentation mean to say that SELECT
> statements don't use transactions in addition to a SELECT statement
> not modifying the database?

That "other than" is, I think, incorrect.  Even a SELECT statement
automatically gets wrapped in a transaction if you haven't declared one for it.
 And that transaction can lock the database.  This is what stops a write from
another process messing up a SELECT that needs to create its own index.

Simon.