On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:54 PM, Mike Clagett <mike.clag...@mathworks.com>wrote:

> Yet the following oddity still remains:  when we create the index
> programmatically before adding the rows, it doesn't seem to have any
> effect.  Both interactively in the Firefox tool and programmatically from
> the second phase of my application it takes about an average 18ms to do a
> select -- the same amount of time without the index even being there at
> all.  Only when I manually drop and recreate the index from within the
> Firefox tool does the index kick in and subsequently reduce select time to
> about 1ms.

> Do you have any thoughts on this?

My guess:  The index created by the program and the index you create using
Firefox are not the same.  The difference might be subtle - perhaps a
change in collating sequence or something - but it is enough to make the
difference.

Send us the exact text of the index (both the program version and the
Firefox version) and its associated table and maybe also the query, then we
can tell.

Exact text:  No changes please.

--
D. Richard Hipp