To add to other answers:
SQLite is a great DB back-end - I believe the Website at www.sqlite.org and Fossil repositories hosting the code there are all running on SQLite (if you fancy browsing an SQLite site to compare). PHP natively supports SQLite, MySQL, Postgres and MSSQL, which means the choice is arbitrary to your web interface. Not exactly sure what DBs are all supported with ASP or other IIS-based systems (I stopped using ASP long ago, nothing wrong with it, just that PHP is awesome).

As for comparing SQLite with MySQL or PostGres - the answer is probably as you
would expect:
SQLite is a lot more portable, a lot easier to contain (by virtue of it's file-usage as already high-lighted by others) and in general very easy to back up or quickly download / upload the single file to backup or fix it or whatever else is needed. The Memory footprint is always quite small but it does offer some adjustment - which helps if your server is either low on memory or you host a zillion databases. It has no significant security unless you use the encryption tools offered - if your file gets accessed (which the server security should prevent mostly), the Data is open if not encrypted.

MySQL / PostGres / MSSQL are proper client-server based systems and, depending on the install mode, will consume all your available server memory and load as much as possible DBs entirely into memory-cache so that it is blisteringly fast, especially with many simultaneous user connections. (MSSQL is a bit fat in my opinion with a rather large footprint and loads of added cool functions that nobody really uses, but not too bad, the others are smaller and faster though). The user-access model on these makes security concerns happy too.

Other random considerations: Talking about PHP specifically, though it supports all the above-mentioned, it seems to have special soft-spots for MySQL and PostGres - especially the newer "mysqli" interfacing objects provide real quick and easy integration and the phpMyAdmin DB manager is pure magic. Also, the shortest path is usually the one you know, so unless there are specific architectural concerns or violations, use the system you know well - this should save development time. On the other hand, if you are not hard-pressed for time, learning a new system is always a good idea.

PS to Rob Willet: LOL - yeah I never really understand the flamewars. As a user of probably the widest selection of systems it seems to me the only people who get into arguments are the one-trick ponies trying to justify their own subsistence. C is obviously awesome and I wouldn't try to write a server in any other way. For rapidly developing user-interfaces though, it is horrible and C++/C# and especially Rad studio/Delphi do much better jobs of it. (VB seems to be the only one that is universally bad, but VS works well as most game-devs would attest). For adding web interface functionality HTML5, JAVA and FLEX is brilliant and for web services PHP/ASP etc. are brilliant, I can go on... Flamewarring about which system is best is rather like arguing about whether it is better to drive a car, a motorcycle or a bus. Before you can argue you have to ask, how fast do I need to get there, and how many passengers do I need to take with. It is easy to see the answer being meaningless until these are known. The same goes for the *nix, Windows, OSX, Android etc wars.... I develop for all of them they all are better at something than the others. The fanboyism that sometimes creep up on forums are usually down to lack of knowledge or interest. That said, if you can define working specs, intended audience, etc. clearly, it is usually easy to pick one over the other based on those specs, since they are all very different but not one of them is very bad (else it wouldn't still be around).