What was the raw results of some of the queries?  Obviously query and
explain, but did you also tag in time deltas pre and post queries?

I'll have to read up more on EXPLAIN.  I'm aware of how indexes work as
well as where and when you need to put them in, but, when I had my SQL
training back on MS SQL 2000, back then the engine was knowledgeable to use
multiple indexes versus SQLite which uses one.  Would be interesting to see
when and where that single index comes into play when multiple indexes are
defined.