On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> I know it's a hack.  But it's an elegant efficient hack that takes
> advantage of the things SQLite does well.  As long as that's the only way
> you were using LIKE.

Don't get me wrong, the solution is good. But apart from the specific
problem I also started the thread in order to prove that the implementation
of the LIKE optimization in SqLite is not all it could be. Apart from mixed
languages there are other, less extreme scenarios where a
collation-sensitive like optimization will come in handy. For instance, for
languages with accents it would be nice to be able to create a
case-insensitive accent-insensitive (CI_AI) collation and be able to use
LIKE on it, even if it doesn't use an index. And overloading the LIKE
operator globally is not a good idea because it will affect all LIKE
operations in a database, even in columns that are not CI_AI.

I was hoping to elicit a response from D. R. Hipp but he has chosen not to
respond.

--
Constantine