On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:01:28 +0000
Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> Your question is an example of a long term discussion about whether
> your entire business philosophy should be encoded within your SQL
> databases, with numerous FOREIGN KEYs, CONSTRAINTs and TRIGGERs used
> to enforce how you run the business.  The two sides of the argument
> are about evenly matched and there are no conclusions yet.

I think you will concede there is some distance between implementing
security in the DBMS and encoding one's entire busness philosophy in
it.  ;-)

The idea of a Database Manage System arose from the need to manage the
database.  One important aspect was to arbitrate changes to the data
such that different applications would not update it in ways that were
mutually inconsistent or logically inconsistent.  It was never a
philosophical question, but a practical matter of protecting the data.

--jkl