On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Max Vlasov <max.vla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some time ago when there was no "instr" functions, I looked at Mysql help
> pages and implemented a user function "locate" as the one that allows
> searching starting a particular position in the string. With two parameters
> form it was just identical to "instr" only the order of parameters was
> reversed. As I see, the latest sqlite has only "instr".
>
> It's not a big deal, but I noticed that "locate" with three parameters
> becomes convenient for CTE recursive queries since it allows search
> sequentially in the string. For example, a little bulky at last, but I
> managed to do "comma-list to dataset" query
>
> I suppose implementing "locate" and doing "instr" as a call to "locate"
> would cost the developers probably no more than a hundred of bytes for the
> final binary

Parsing fields is also done with substring_index in MySQL and having both locate
and substring_index would be useful for MySQL compatibility.

Parsing fields created using group_concat is one particular example.
One related
item is that in MySQL group_concat can specify the order of rows to be
concatenated
as well as a number of other aspects not currently available in SQLite.

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com