On 17 Feb 2014, at 7:08pm, Tim Streater <t...@clothears.org.uk> wrote:

> Yes. I'm concluding that there's something fishy with the way my
> data-gathering page is operating. I've recently added "use strict"; to my
> javascript and that may be exposing something.

My web apps involve a hand-off between JavaScript (running on the user's
browser) and PHP (running on the server, accessing the SQLite database).  Over
the years the two have communicated various ways as standards have evolved,
HTTPS has become available, and both languages have improved.  And each time I
change how it works I run into some unexpected weird encoding problem.  Every
single time.

The new debugging tools built into Chrome, FireFox and Safari are wonderful.  I
mean completely unbelievable even a decade ago.  And these three lines for PHP
transform it out of sight:

    error_reporting(E_ALL);
    ini_set('display_errors', '1');
    ini_set('log_errors', '1');