Hi,

Von: sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org [mailto:sqlite-users-boun...@sqlite.org]
> At 21:35 03/03/2014, you wrote:
> ´¯¯¯
> >RAID3-4-5 was great when disks were expensive, in 80's an 90's. Now
> >not. A minimal RAID5 needs 3 disks. A minimal RAID10 4. An enterprise
> >disk SAS 15Krpm 146 GB 6G is $350, and a not enterprise grade cheaper
> >and bigger. Now RAID1E and RAID10E give more flexibility and variable
> >security, from "paranoid" to "i don't care" grades.
> `---
>
> The point being discussed was not on performance or cost, but on the
> imaginary fact that RAID5-6 and variations have the inherent, by-design fatal
> flaw that they break down because a parity block can be out of sync with
> corresponding data blocks. This is bullshit, period.

It is not. Period.

> Nothing in RAID5-6 design mandates serialization of writes, by far.

Yes. But I've yet to know a setup for harddisks which allows reliable
transactional writes spanning several disks. (Kinda two-phase commit
for disk writes).

Of course, a dedicated hardware controller who issues the write requests
to the disks absolutely synchronously lowers the risk by shrinking the
time window.

But it cannot totally eliminate it, for at least the following reasons:
- The platters are usually not completely physically in sync, so the
  first disk may have written the block while the second disk still
  needs to wait for another 1/4 rotation for the block to be written.

- One of the disks may have internally remapped a bad sector, needing a
  seek (and thus much longer time) to write the block.

In reality, there are usually some more time variation, e. G. due to
- Both disks may be connected through the same cable, thus the requests
  to the disks need to be serialized.

- There may be other outstanding requests in the disk internal cache
  which the disk firmware might reorder in a different way.

I admit that the remaining risk may be low, but it is not zero. Period.

> It's only when cheap, unreliable hardware is put to work under below par
> software that the issue can be a real-world problem.
>
> So the rant on the design against parity-enabled RAIDs is moot, if not plain
> fallacious unless "software RAID without dedicated controller" is clearly
> mentionned.

I did mention using battery backed power as a way to mitigate the risk.

And as far as I know, even the most expensive hardware RAID controllers
and disks do not yet support multi-disk transactions, so your reference
to not-yet existing hardware is moot.

> About SAS disks: they have actual very high reliability and don't lie,
> contrary to SATA disks (on both points).
>
> This is not a war about mine being bigger, but it's better to have facts
> stated right.

I fully agree there.

> All high-end reliable machines and storage subsystems only run
> parity-enabled RAID levels and this thechnology isn't going to disappear
> tomorrow.

I doubt that _all_ those machines exclusively run on parity-enabled RAID
levels, but I'm strongly interested in a proof of your "fact" here.

I remember reading that PostgreSQL and Oracle recommend using mirroring based
levels instead of parity-enabled ones for performance reasons, so I'm really
curious to read about how you back up your claim.

Best regards

Markus Schaber

CODESYS® a trademark of 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH

Inspiring Automation Solutions

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Dipl.-Inf. Markus Schaber | Product Development Core Technology
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany
Tel. +49-831-54031-979 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

E-Mail: m.scha...@codesys.com | Web: http://www.codesys.com | CODESYS store:
http://store.codesys.com
CODESYS forum: http://forum.codesys.com

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade
register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915