On Apr 30, 2014, at 8:50 PM, Jay Kreibich <j...@kreibi.ch> wrote:

> Given Oracle’s legacy, it might be that “2” defaults to a “numeric” type,
> rather than an integer.

Indeed, there are no ‘integer’ type per se in Oracle. At least not at the SQL
level. But more to the point, I don’t thing the various ANSI standards have
anything normative to say about  what the result of a division should be,
merely that there is a division operator. So it’s rather a free for all. Sigh.

FWIW, I personally find Oracle’s behavior more intuitive in that respect. But
then again, nothing really wrong with how SQLite handles it.

In other news:

http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks