 From: "c...@isbd.net" <c...@isbd.net>
To: sqlite-users@sqlite.org
Sent: Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:29 AM
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Application with 'grid' form for entering table   data
wanted

Stephen Chrzanowski <pontia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the sounds of it, the OP wants a spreadsheet app, that isn't a
> spreadsheet app, acts like a database, but isn't quite a database, looks
> simple to use, but provide editable information in a reasonable format.

You're almost right.  Many people use spreadsheets for the sort of
data entry task that I'm trying to do but really spreadsheets aren't
optimum for the job.

Yes, I basically want a spreadsheet data entry screen with a database
behind it.  However the *detail* of how spreadsheets work for data
entry isn't really ideal.

> To bring up a point about Google that RSmith brought up, Google Docs has a
> spreadsheet app that has zero install, accessible by many (If you want) and
> available from anywhere provided an internet connection is available, and
> allows you to edit, search, sort, filter, and all the other bells and
> whistles other spreadsheet and database applications have.  Mind you
> linking an external data requester application might be a bit of a PITA (If
> that is a requirement) might start throwing additional complexities into
> the mix.

That might be of interest, can you point me at it please.

> Since the LAMP setup is available, there are other spreadsheet type
> applications that allow you to move from Google Docs to in-house.  Off the
> top of my head I can't think of the names I've used in the past (I write
> databases, not spreadsheets) but they are out there, free for all, just
> short of public domain (MIT maybe?), and in a
> 'download-extract-run-configure' format usually, which is GREAT with a LAMP
> setup.

Hmmm, why is it that all these apps are "... can't think of the names
..." ?  :-)

> The other option is to go ground up with PHP and some very basic AJAX
> calls, but even then, you'd need SOME kind of management.  How many rows to
> display, how many columns to display, do we add rows, remove rows, what
> field is what cast, validation requirements, data storage considerations,

No validation, just text fields.  Number of columns is defined by the
number of columns in the database table.  Open to 'all' because it's
on a home LAN with no (HTTP) access from outside.

--
Chris Green
·