also: if this query isn't *very* fast, then i'm fine with just "give me the
value of the first cell where there is data in that column"

in the below case, i'd get a "1".
i would then proceed to delete everything with a "1" in it (from this and other
tables)
then i'd ask again, this time i'd get a 4, repeat above
then ask again, get nothing, and i'd be done