On 9/1/2014 12:02 AM, jic wrote:
SELECT cust, sum(ProjFund), sum(Xtra8), coalesce(billdate,bdate) as t

But this is not working correctly, as the beginning of the result, there
is no number because billdate is empty.  So, I get a list like this:

Co01|13016.16|20024.46|

How is "absence of billdate" represented in the database - as NULL or as empty string? I suspect it's the latter. coalesce() only treats nulls as "special", not empty strings. See how the answer changes if you replace coalesce(billdate,bdate) with

(case when billdate != '' then billdate else bdate end)

--
Igor Tandetnik