Paul wrote:

> I suspect that no, not all accesses to the database file are done using
> transactions.

Read-only transactions just lock the database file.  (But they must take
the lock to ensure that no write transaction can happen at the same time.)

> Maybe sqlite does not write a byte to disk if inside a transaction
> there are only selects?

A file lock does not involve any writes (except for the unix-dotfile VFS,
but you would know if you were using it).  A rollback journal (or write-
ahead log) is written only for transactions that make changes.

Read <http://www.sqlite.org/atomiccommit.html> to see how this works.

Regards,
Clemens