On 8 Oct 2014, at 10:45pm, Mark Halegua <phanto...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I think my problem is I've opened the database in different modules for
> different views of the
> data (there are six tables, one of which relates to two/three others, another
> which relates to
> one other) and therefore the database is locked for anything like adding data.

If you are using Shared Cache Mode, then you are using shared access to the
database.  So whatever _open() command you use first is governing the access
all modules have.

It may be that whatever Python library you're using automatically uses shared
cache mode without you intentionally turn it on.

Are you using any special directives or PRAGMAs ?

Simon.