On 25 Oct 2014, at 9:07pm, Ross Altman <altman...@husky.neu.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses. The small integer column H11 comes before the
> large string column NVERTS, so doesn't that mean SQLite is only loading the
> minimum required while filtering? If that's the case then I don't
> understand why it's taking up to 15 minutes to load.

The searching is taking the time.  Because, as a number of other people have
pointed out, there is no index on the H11 column, so SQLite has to look at
every row in the table to see whether it qualifies for your SELECT.  Create an
index by doing something like

CREATE INDEX ToricCY_H11 ON ToricCY (H11)

then do as many SELECTs as you want.

Simon.