On 13 Dec 2014, at 7:46pm, James K. Lowden <jklow...@schemamania.org> wrote:

> Every DB Admin tool I've ever used proved to be more hinderance than
> help.  They seem to be written by the moderately competent to help the
> novice, and run out of gas or fall over when faced with anything
> complex.  [snip]
>
> My first question, then, is whether or not the rowcount is so
> interesting that it must be known before a table can be operated on.
> I suggest the answer is No.  The relative & approximate sizes of the
> tables is known to the admin in most cases and, when it is not, the
> information is readily discovered on a case-by-case basis. [snip]

All true.  Yet when I wrote my own DB Admin tool (suitable only for my own use,
of no interest to anyone else) I included the same feature in it.  When you
click on a TABLE to select it the count(*) pops up along with information about
the table's structure.  I had no real idea why I put that in, it just seemed a
natural thing to do.

> That said, I'm puzzled why rowcount isn't maintained and exposed in
> SQLite as part of a table's metadata, particularly when indexes/keys are
> present.  The cost of maintaining a rowcount is small, in terms of
> computation and complexity.  ISTM it is valuable information to the
> system itself in evaluating query-plan costs.

It does seem that knowing count(*) would be a very good thing to know for
evaluating query-plan costs.  I hope SQLite4 stores it.

Simon.