On Fri, 16 Jan 2015 16:24:21 -0700
"Keith Medcalf" <kmedc...@dessus.com> wrote:

> >1.  The architecture of an executable file, x86 or x64.
>
> dumpbin -- comes with the dev kit

I would have thought so, but I didn't find an option that reports it.

> Importantly make sure you are exporting "C" names.

I'm pretty sure, but thanks for the reminder.  IIRC files ending in .c
are compiled as C by default.  Definitely I forgot an explicit export.

> Telling you the name of the service and the name of the file (and
> where it expected to find it) would be useful, but I think rule 1
> prevails "Everything Useful is Prohibited".

Don't I know it.  Amen, brother, say it!

> The compiler is called CL and it can give you its help with "cl -?".
> There is a silly batch file somewhere in the VS install directories
> that set all the environment variables properly so you can then use a
> real editor and compile from the command line.

So silly it is that when I choose the "x86 command-line" option in VS,
it doesn't DTRT.  I had to reverse engineer which vsvars32.bat to run.

I decided to give http://mxe.cc a try.  News at 11.

--jkl