Richard Hipp-3 wrote
> From the description, your tests sound like you are pushing a bunch of
> separate SQL statements into SQLite.  In other words, the compute time
> is likely dominated by the time need to parse the SQL and prepare
> plans.

Yes

>   Have you rerun the tests using prepared statements, where you
> do a limited number of sqlite3_prepare_v2() calls and then reuse each
> prepared statement multiple times with different bound parameters?
> That's the kind of work-load we have been striving to optimize, since
> we figure anybody who is interested in performance is already making
> heavy use of prepared statements.

We call SQLite from C# and use a .net wrapper inspired by system.data.sqlite
package. In other words there is a lot of overhead in high level layer.
(Moreover, we rely on Mono implementation, which is even slower.) In the old
days I run a lot of tests trying to find out the fastest way until we
decided for the current algorithm. Since then we heavily optimized the C#
layer and you now optimized the C code.

Maybe the original decision is not true anymore. If I find spare time I'll
run the tests again. But right now I am primarily interested whether it
makes sense to upgrade SQLite code.