On 25 May 2016 at 19:48, dandl <da...@andl.org> wrote:

> This particular program is run as part of a series of
> test cases, and the setup for the test involves deleting the database file
> and then running the program in a batch file. Since about Windows 7 the
> shell does not wait for a file to be deleted before launching the next
> process, and if that process uses a file that is being deleted there is a
> race condition to see what happens next. Specifically it seems to be
> possible to open a "shadow copy" of the file which can persist while the
> original file is deleted. I don't understand exactly what happens, but I
> suspect this might be my problem.

Having an sqlite connection open on a deleted file can also happen in posix
land... Section 2.4 of "How to Corrupt" claims it can't happen on windows,
I guess that's technically true as in this scenario the file was deleted
before being opened, but it might be worth mentioning anyway (assuming the
mechanism can be understood).

-Rowan