> On 19 Aug 2015, at 1:36pm, Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf at dessus.com> wrote:

> > Meaning that on a persistent temp storage the files will stay forever
> (or until a manually deleted).  Then again, on systems such as windows
> where temp files are never deleted this is to be expected.

> Hmm.  On every Unix box I've seen /tmp gets cleaned up either on shutdown
> or on startup.  (With the possible exception of 'safestart' or 'safeboot'
> where implemented.)

> Are you telling me that Windows doesn't do either ?  No wonder the hard
> disks fill up.

Hehehehe.  It is a plot to sell new computers every year or so (and Operating
Systems).

This is a long standing issue with Windows since about Windows 1.0 -- though
back then TEMP files were stored in the TEMP file directory under DOS, this is
no longer the case.  With each new version of Windows and Microsoft Smegma, the
number of temporary storage locations that require manual cleaning multiply
like oversexed rabbits in a dark room.  Even just *finding* all the temp
directories (and keeping track of them) is a full time maintenance job.

It is far easier and less time consuming to just throw the computer away every
year or so and buy a new one -- which is the design goal and what most
consumers do.  Others just re-format and re-install every six months to a year.
 A very few hunt down the temp directories (Windows 10 with one user account
has 43 of them on the boot (C:) drive alone at current count and I do not know
if I have found all of them yet -- it has only been RTM a couple of weeks) and
wipe up the slobbering drool on a regular basis.