I first learned about SQLite in the Bioconductor branch of R. I figured if
they could handle massive genetic databases in SQLite, SQLite ought to be
able to handle a million (or even 12 million) voters in a voter file.

Here is a brief article from 2006, "How to Use SQLite with R" by Seth
Falcon.
http://master.bioconductor.org/help/course-materials/2006/rforbioinformatics/labs/thurs/SQLite-R-howto.pdf
Jim