At a minimum SQLite needs a C complier (or cross-compiler) for the CPU.

The storage device manufacturer usually publishes some specs (and sample
code -- such as assembly language routines callable from C) if  a third
party has a primitive file system (a term I prefer to VFS which could refer
to virtualizing a network file system) the device manufacturer should know
about it.

The problem consists of closing the gap, by building or buying a software
layer (primitive file system?) between the routines or sample code provided
by the storage device manufacturer and the calls made by SQLite.

Virtual usually refers to a layer up the stack (more abstraction) he is
trying to go a layer down the stack (closer to the hardware) which is more
primitive without all the fancy stuff of the Unix civilization.

Here is an article (SIGMOD 2013) on trying to get MS SQL Server to run on
an SSD with an ARM chip.
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~jignesh/publ/SmartSSD.pdf

Here is a discussion of solid state drive (SSD) firmware.
http://www.openssd-project.org/wiki/The_OpenSSD_Project

As the controller chip on the SDD drive becomes a more powerful ARM chip,
it may be feasible to have SQLite in the SDD itself.

Here is a discussion from 2008
http://sqlite.1065341.n5.nabble.com/Porting-into-a-microcontroller-minimum-requirements-td37469.html

Many handheld consumer devices follow the mobile phone tablet model and
have a Unix or Linux derived operating system iOS (based BSD Unix), Android
(based on Linux) or Windows (based on Windows) or Ubuntu (a Linux
distribution) and most of these already have SQLite.

Jim