On Mon, 2015-07-13 at 21:25 -0400, Donald Griggs wrote:

>  -- One mode does require that power not be removed abruptly from the eMMC
> controller (but they still claim durability even in the face of a kernel
> panic)

That's true of *all* modes of operation of most MMC and SSD class
devices. The internal file system ("translation layer" which they use
to pretend to be a disk is usually horrifically unsafe. We have some
real horror stories of hooking up a logic analyser to the flash chips,
and watching what the ?controller actually does during wear levelling
and garbage collection.

What you actually want is to drive the real flash directly, with none
of this silly "pretend to be spinning rust" nonsense.

--
dwmw2