On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 9:35 PM, Simon Slavin <slavins at bigfraud.org> wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2015, at 8:03pm, Zsb?n Ambrus <ambrus at math.bme.hu> wrote:
> I tried this once a couple of years ago, and both platforms use whatever the
> expected variable name was for that OS.  In other words, a native programmer
> to that OS would get whatever behaviour they expected.

Hopefully that means TMPDIR on unix and TEMP on windows, which seem to
be the most widely used environment variables for this.

Sadly, programs aren't uniform in what environment variable(s) they
respect for this.  I think something on some system uses the TMP or
TMP_DIR variables. Some simply don't respect anything and just put
temporary files in the current directory or your home directory
regardless.

>From the source code, it seems that for at least some operations,
sqlite3 checks the following environment variables: SQLITE_TMPDIR,
TMPDIR, TMP, TEMP, USERPROFILE.

-- Zsb?n Ambrus