Tulinov
Sent: Monday, 15 June 2015 10:32 AM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Mozilla wiki 'avoid SQLite'

On 15/06/15 01:00, Simon Slavin wrote:

Simon,

> Perhaps the next generation of computer languages will be designed by
computer, to let us speak to them in an efficient manner.

I'm sure computer would insist on C, if not, then it's apparently a software
bug.

On a serious note, i think it's rather question of programming computers or
programming another programs. As you've mentioned, higher level languages
often compiles into byte-code which is then interpreted by virtual machine.
So you don't speak to machine, you speak to mediator who speak to machine.
This by definition an overhead, with growing complexity of the program,
overhead will grow accordingly, this is unavoidable.

I think it's also fair to say that SQL is not for programming machines (no
offense), it's for programming SQLite and other database implementations.
Even if something is called "virtual machine", VM always behaves somehow
differently from The Machine, thus programmer'
efforts has mediated effect on latter.

Of course VM could do a good job in a specific domain, but each VM limits
the liberty of expressing yourself to the machine and vice versa.

In my opinion best database language would reflect the way in which database
works and best computer programming language would reflect the way in which
computer works, as close as reasonably possible.