On Fri, 01 May 2015 17:58:06 +0200
Jean-Marie CUAZ <jm.cuaz at orens.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We use Sqlite + Tcl/Tk in a payroll application and everything works
> great at high speed !
>
> In this application, "PRAGMA quick_check" are processed in a few
> places as a security measure :
> - before processing backup/restore operations.
> - during the process of login into the application.
>
> The size of a database file for an instance of our application vary
> from 100 MB to 700 MB.
>
> With a "PRAGMA quick_check" processed when login into the
> application, the waiting time can reach one minute on an average
> computer (3 Ghz + 7200 rpm HD).
>
> So I ask this naive question : except if already done, could it be
> possible to leverage information gathered by Sqlite with "PRAGMA
> threads" to process "PRAGMA quick_check" in a multi-threaded manner ?

Have you measure if it's cpu-bound or io-bound? If it's limited by io, using
bigger cache or activating mmap will improve that.

Also, if you only see it at login (I suppouse login is done once at start app)
the system cache don't have the db while doing it at backup/restore db file
system cache has it. Try to do something like this:

%cat /path/to/db.file > /dev/null