Some progress with this.
Still get an error: unknown error, Extended error code: 100, but it all
runs and get the right results and no crash.
Problem was I did put the result of sqlite3_step in a VB Long datatype:

Dim lStepResult As Long

lStepResult = sqlite3_step(lStatementHandle)

Now I do instead:

Dim lStepResult 'VB variant datatype

RBS